Friday, November 30, 2007

Finger Tip Amputation!


Ok, so that title may make things sound worse than they actually are. But that is the actual diagnosis we received at 11:30pm last night as Brent was discharged from Hoag Hospital's emergency room. Let's start at the beginning. Brent was taking out the trash on Wednesday night and pushed the trash down with his hand, managing to slice off roughly a quarter off the top of his right, middle finger (on a razor blade that had been disposed of in the trash can- horrible, I know). What followed was uncontrollable bleeding and me trying to tend to the finger and Brent as best as possible. Once we got the bleeding stopped, I wrapped it in gauze and we went to bed. Fast forward to last night, when we went to remove the dressing and apply a new one, only to learn that the gauze had become embedded in the wound. I have never seen Brent express pain, so I knew that this was bad. Instead of attempting to remedy the situation ourselves, we decided to head to the ER. Thank god we did.


When we arrived at Hoag, we were fast-tracked (does that give you an idea of how terrifying the finger looks and how bloody it was?) and were able to see a Dr. very quickly. Nurses and ER technicians kept coming in to see the wound after hearing the grisly story. When they found out we have been married less than three weeks they all asked if I was trying to do my new husband in by leaving a razor in the trash :(


The Dr. was able to remove the bandage from the finger (an extremely painful endeavor) and less than 2 hours later Brent was properly wrapped, received a Tetanus shot, and we were discharged with instructions on how to care for a "finger amputation."


I think Brent should let me paint the middle finger blue in anticipation of tomorrow's big UCLA v. USC game tomorrow- it would be fitting, would it not?

No comments: